Wednesday, July 11, 2007
So nice I went twice - and tango!
Last weekend, I went back to DF (Mexico City) for a couple meetings for the journalism organization I'm volunteering for. They were conducted entirely in Spanish. I understood pretty much everything everyone was saying, but couldn't reply or contribute in Spanish. This is inspiring me to work harder on the language. I found an intercambio this week, a woman who wants to learn English. We are meeting for an hour a day in the patio at the Biblioteca (the library) for conversation in English and Spanish.
On Saturday, I took my first tango lesson. Perhaps this will be my dance. I just loved it. We went back to the neighborhood tango club in Mexico City, which gives lessons on Saturday afternoons. I pretty much just practiced figure eights - (sliding a foot from one side to the other, turning without moving your chest, and then sliding back) and a simple spin. But I did get one turn with the instructor, and I love the feel of this dance. Do need to get some shoes that will slide on the floor. Chaco sandals are not only esthetically inappropriate for tango, they also have too much traction.
Careful readers may recall my foray into bellydancing. I'm sad to say that the bellydancing instructor had to leave SMA suddenly - she got kicked out of her house. Long story, but the upshot is my belly career has come to an abrupt halt. There are tango lessons here, though, and I'm going to try to take one Saturday with my friend Jeannie.
On Saturday, I took my first tango lesson. Perhaps this will be my dance. I just loved it. We went back to the neighborhood tango club in Mexico City, which gives lessons on Saturday afternoons. I pretty much just practiced figure eights - (sliding a foot from one side to the other, turning without moving your chest, and then sliding back) and a simple spin. But I did get one turn with the instructor, and I love the feel of this dance. Do need to get some shoes that will slide on the floor. Chaco sandals are not only esthetically inappropriate for tango, they also have too much traction.
Careful readers may recall my foray into bellydancing. I'm sad to say that the bellydancing instructor had to leave SMA suddenly - she got kicked out of her house. Long story, but the upshot is my belly career has come to an abrupt halt. There are tango lessons here, though, and I'm going to try to take one Saturday with my friend Jeannie.