Tuesday, July 03, 2007
Enough about DF, I am homeless
Or was. But only for a few hours. And only theoretically.
I haven't even gotten to Coyoacan or Frida mania at Belles Artes, or the cute cafes, or Zona Rosa, or the neighborhood tango bar. Or our successful meeting at Tech de Monterrey. But enough about Mexico City. Because today's adventure was: find a new place to live.
At 8:30 this morning, I was able to read exactly one email before my computer died. It was from the owner of the house I'm taking care of. Her husband has friends coming to stay in SMA and he offered them the house. Starting Thursday. As in, day after tomorrow.
Now, a couple weeks ago, this wouldn't have been a problem, because I had two emergency back-up plans should something like this happen: I could return to the Mexican family that I've lived with before. Or I could go stay with my friends Jeannie and Donna, who are living in a building where the apartments are all being sold. So there were two empty units that they couldn't really rent out.
Unfortunately, I learned Sunday that the Mexican family has a full house of students. And then I realized that Donna has to move out of her apartment, because it's been sold (1 empty unit) and her niece just arrived and is staying there. (2nd empty unit.)
But here's the amazing thing. Around 11 I called L. to tell her I had some papers to drop off at her house. She wanted to get some work done for the journo org I've been volunteering for. Had to tell her I really couldn't work today, since I needed to find a place to live. And L. says, well, I have an empty casita that I was going to rent out. Why don't you stay there. So, for the fourth time in about three months, I have a very nice place to stay. I move in tomorrow. And I found a new place to live in less than 3 hours. Not bad. Not bad at all....
I haven't even gotten to Coyoacan or Frida mania at Belles Artes, or the cute cafes, or Zona Rosa, or the neighborhood tango bar. Or our successful meeting at Tech de Monterrey. But enough about Mexico City. Because today's adventure was: find a new place to live.
At 8:30 this morning, I was able to read exactly one email before my computer died. It was from the owner of the house I'm taking care of. Her husband has friends coming to stay in SMA and he offered them the house. Starting Thursday. As in, day after tomorrow.
Now, a couple weeks ago, this wouldn't have been a problem, because I had two emergency back-up plans should something like this happen: I could return to the Mexican family that I've lived with before. Or I could go stay with my friends Jeannie and Donna, who are living in a building where the apartments are all being sold. So there were two empty units that they couldn't really rent out.
Unfortunately, I learned Sunday that the Mexican family has a full house of students. And then I realized that Donna has to move out of her apartment, because it's been sold (1 empty unit) and her niece just arrived and is staying there. (2nd empty unit.)
But here's the amazing thing. Around 11 I called L. to tell her I had some papers to drop off at her house. She wanted to get some work done for the journo org I've been volunteering for. Had to tell her I really couldn't work today, since I needed to find a place to live. And L. says, well, I have an empty casita that I was going to rent out. Why don't you stay there. So, for the fourth time in about three months, I have a very nice place to stay. I move in tomorrow. And I found a new place to live in less than 3 hours. Not bad. Not bad at all....
Comments:
<< Home
you know, it's uncanny how you go from one sweet housing deal to the next... by the way, why do we say "it's uncanny..." but never "it's canny..."... jus' sayin'.
Post a Comment
<< Home
