Thursday, June 28, 2007

 

Wow

I'm in DF having, of course, computer problems, but otherwise blown away by the city. So far I have been serenaded twice: a guy made up like Paul Stanley from KISS and singing Queen songs out of a mr. microphone, AND a toothless cowboy (I got the virgin of guadalupe stickers on his guitar, couldn't figure out the martha stewart-style paint color chips....). Also ran into the founder of La Jornada, who was having an opening at Casa LAAM, a cultural center that I'm probably misspelling. Turns out when he's not running the country's respected left wing daily, he's making zen ceramics. At the same cultural center was also an opening for a Pedro Vargas exhibit, and so we barged in and saw a famous actress from the 50s - she was wearing black sparkles and her hair was boufed up high with a skunk stripe down the middle.

I've eaten flor de calabaza (squash blossoms) twice - in an omelette this a.m. and stuffed with goat cheese and covered with poblano cream sauce at lunch. And I visited the amazing anthropology museum, which explains both the origin of man and the origin of most of Mexico's indigenous people. Like the city, it is HUGE. I went with L's husband, and he admittd he's been 6 or 7 times, never made it to the second floor.

Colonia Roma, where I'm staying, reminds me of a neighborhood in New York or Paris or London, though it's more reasonable. There are fountains and tree-lined medians throughout. My hotel is about $40 a night. Though this is largely thanks to L, who used to live in this neighborhood and knows where the bargains are. This neighborhood got hit hard during the big earthquake in the 80s. L gets a room on the first floor, and I keep a pair of shoes by the door at night. Just in case.

Not bad for less than 24 hours here.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?