Saturday, June 02, 2007
Newsflash - bull free zone
Big news in SMA this week, according to Atencion, the bilingual newspaper: the city council has decided to cancel the Sanmiguelada, the annual running of the bulls normally held in September, for the next three years.
From what I've heard, there are two big problems with the festival, which sends, or often prods, usually reluctant bulls running through the streets around the Jardin, chasing after crowds of mostly guys who aren't quite sure where they're going, and who have no way to back out once they start: The first is that it has been cited repeatedly as the reason that SMA hasn't been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's a tourist draw, not an organic expression of some ancient SMA tradition.
But the second, bigger, issue, which also contributes to the reason for the first, is that it is a drunken free-for-all with nowhere near enough security or strategy for handling problems. Thousands and thousands of young tourists jam into the city, sleeping in their cars or on the streets. Bars spring up everywhere. Residents tape down and towel up the cracks underneath the entrances to their homes to stop urine from flowing from the streets into their houses. (I'm not making that up.) Imagine Mardi Gras with almost no cops or clean up crew.
Last year there were shootings right in the center of town, which is unheard of here. The city council worries that if there were some major tragedy, there is no place where a helicopter could land to ferry out victims. (This was an interesting factoid - SMA doesn't have a single suitable building for a heliport. I love that.)
Every year there are injuries from the bulls, but more from fights that break out between the juniors and fresas (rich kids from DF and other parts of the country) on one side and the local SMA "gangs" which aren't comprised of violent thugs, but rather '50s style neighborhood kids who run together and don't appreciate the haves pointing out so crudely what they have not.
Everyone here has horror stories to tell about the Sanmiguelada.
I was really looking forward to it.
September is a big party month here, with La Grita, or scream for independence, celebrated mid-month, the Sanmiguelada, and then the feast of San Miguel. I had hoped to have a front row seat to this trifecta, but looks like it's going to be a more mellow time this year.
The association representing hotel and restaurant owners has been quoted saying they object to the cancellation. But I haven't yet met a resident, Mexican or US, who is sad it's taking a hiatus. Much as I want to see it, I guess I have to bow to the wisdom of those who already have.
From what I've heard, there are two big problems with the festival, which sends, or often prods, usually reluctant bulls running through the streets around the Jardin, chasing after crowds of mostly guys who aren't quite sure where they're going, and who have no way to back out once they start: The first is that it has been cited repeatedly as the reason that SMA hasn't been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It's a tourist draw, not an organic expression of some ancient SMA tradition.
But the second, bigger, issue, which also contributes to the reason for the first, is that it is a drunken free-for-all with nowhere near enough security or strategy for handling problems. Thousands and thousands of young tourists jam into the city, sleeping in their cars or on the streets. Bars spring up everywhere. Residents tape down and towel up the cracks underneath the entrances to their homes to stop urine from flowing from the streets into their houses. (I'm not making that up.) Imagine Mardi Gras with almost no cops or clean up crew.
Last year there were shootings right in the center of town, which is unheard of here. The city council worries that if there were some major tragedy, there is no place where a helicopter could land to ferry out victims. (This was an interesting factoid - SMA doesn't have a single suitable building for a heliport. I love that.)
Every year there are injuries from the bulls, but more from fights that break out between the juniors and fresas (rich kids from DF and other parts of the country) on one side and the local SMA "gangs" which aren't comprised of violent thugs, but rather '50s style neighborhood kids who run together and don't appreciate the haves pointing out so crudely what they have not.
Everyone here has horror stories to tell about the Sanmiguelada.
I was really looking forward to it.
September is a big party month here, with La Grita, or scream for independence, celebrated mid-month, the Sanmiguelada, and then the feast of San Miguel. I had hoped to have a front row seat to this trifecta, but looks like it's going to be a more mellow time this year.
The association representing hotel and restaurant owners has been quoted saying they object to the cancellation. But I haven't yet met a resident, Mexican or US, who is sad it's taking a hiatus. Much as I want to see it, I guess I have to bow to the wisdom of those who already have.
Comments:
<< Home
wow.... sounds like summerfest only with actual bulls instead of bull-sized drunks sporting farmer tans and ill-fitting cargo shorts. personally, i think i'd prefer the bulls, but then anything that keeps a stranger's urine out of one's living room has to be a good thing, no?
and did i miss something or have you not posted any pix of sma?? inquiring minds want to know (and see) because the place sounds darling and hey, maybe somebody there needs to hire a pastry chef? i'm jus' sayin'... in six months and 13 days i'll be graduating... and will be unemployed, uninsured and homeless.
Post a Comment
and did i miss something or have you not posted any pix of sma?? inquiring minds want to know (and see) because the place sounds darling and hey, maybe somebody there needs to hire a pastry chef? i'm jus' sayin'... in six months and 13 days i'll be graduating... and will be unemployed, uninsured and homeless.
<< Home
