Saturday, April 21, 2007

 

Estoy in SMA

Two weeks in Oaxaca turned into two months, but it had to end at some point. At least for a little while. I´m back in San Miguel Allende. Took the night bus Thursday at 11:30 from Oaxaca to Mexico Norte. The bus station in Oaxaca was packed with folks taking overnight buses to distant cities. But my bus to Mexico only had six other passengers. It was quiet and for the most part, comfortable - the first class buses always are. Except for one thing - First class buses are the one place in Mexico you can reliably find air conditioning. And it´s equally reliable that it will be cranked to the max. I had been warned, so I wore my hiking boots, thick socks, two T shirts, a sweater and a fleece. I worried maybe I was overdoing it. Nope. Next time - long underwear. I´m not joking.

I had a four hour layover in Mexico. One funny thing about the bus terminal - it´s lined with kiosks for various bus companies. As I walked past them the agents yelled out at me, suggesting destinations. I love this thought. As if one just wanders into the bus station with no destination in mind. Hmmmm....Pueblo, Acapulco, San Cristobal ....porque no? what am I in the mood for today?

My trip from Mexico to SMA was equally uneventful, though I did pick up a decent tip-- even on first class buses, sit near the front to escape bathroom smells.

Also a funny thing about bus travel here - still can´t figure out how one arranges a complete trip in advance. Many of the bus companies only operate in certain regions. So, it was impossible (at least for me) to figure out when I would be able to get a bus from Mexico to SMA, or whether there even was one. Today I get to go back to the bus station here to figure out how to get to Puerta Vallerta later this week to meet my family. More adventures ahead.

And more on my last days in Oaxaca very soon. Highlight - I finally ate chapulines (aka grasshoppers).

Comments:
Duude-Campazuchi serves grasshoppers on Halloween.Crunchy goodness....lots of mole is required.
 
So... what did the little critters taste like?
 
They taste like crunchy...with mole.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?