Wednesday, January 24, 2007
Noticias
We watch a lot of news at home. The lead stories are almost always about car accidents. Costa Ricans are obsessed with car accidents. If there aren´t any here - which is rare - there are stories about big accidents in the states. During the cold spell in the US, we had video every day of cars sliding around the streets. I know that the roads here are dangerous, but I haven´t been able to figure out if there are really more accidents per capita, or just more interest in them.
The other lead stories are usually about trafficantes -- lots of drugs here, mostly stopping on their way to the US. Or about illegal immigration. Because Costa Rica is very well off, by Central American standards, there are lots of illegal immigrants here, from all over Central and South America. And also from China. They busted a huge ring of Chinese coyotes last week.
In more personal news, another milestone-- last night, a group of us went to see Volver, the Pedro Almodavar movie with Penelope Cruz. It was in Spanish, with Spanish subtitles. And, for the most part, I got it. But only because there were subtitles. I didn´t really watch the movie, I read it.
The other lead stories are usually about trafficantes -- lots of drugs here, mostly stopping on their way to the US. Or about illegal immigration. Because Costa Rica is very well off, by Central American standards, there are lots of illegal immigrants here, from all over Central and South America. And also from China. They busted a huge ring of Chinese coyotes last week.
In more personal news, another milestone-- last night, a group of us went to see Volver, the Pedro Almodavar movie with Penelope Cruz. It was in Spanish, with Spanish subtitles. And, for the most part, I got it. But only because there were subtitles. I didn´t really watch the movie, I read it.