Monday, January 22, 2007

 

Big night, long day, small town

Saturday night I had dinner with Kenna, Uta, Gwen-Wendy, her son Tayoga and Kerri. After dinner, Kerri and I decided to check out what passes for nightlife here. We had a drink at a place called Moon Shivah, which is owned by an Israeli. They had a singer-guitarist and a sax player. After the set, we chatted with the sax guy, and his two friends and then the five us went to a sports bar (!) in Santa Elena. We were just about the only people there. There was one TV and it was playing an old BeeGees concert. My kind of sports bar. After that, we went to Taverna, the local dancebar. I got home at 4 a.m. My first, and likely only, big night out on the town.

Sunday, as you might imagine, I was pretty tired. I took a long walk toward the Monteverde reserve. It´s been raining and windy for weeks here, but all of a sudden it dried up and calmed down. A beautiful day. But now I understand why people say they like the mud more than the dust. It´s slippery!! I fell down and really skinned my foot and knee, had to walk home bleeding a bit. Almost fell a couple more times. I´m learning which parts of the road are easier than others.

So I only told my family that I fell down. But this morning in class three students came up and asked me about it. My family told another family, who passed on the word. Someone actually thought I´d broken my arm! They say news travels fast in small towns. (actually, in spanish, they say small town, big fire, but it means the same thing.) But this is the first time I´ve actually experienced that. I suppose I´d rather spread news about my fall than about my night out until 4 a.m. But I´m guessing that´s wishful thinking and my family, as well as half the town, knows exactly where I was Saturday night and what I was up to.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?