Monday, December 04, 2006
word play
Some fun words I´m learning
Espantasuegras are the paper noise makers you blow on New Year´s. Suegra is mother-in-law and espantar means to frighten. I´m not sure if that means the noise is supposed to frighten a mother-in-law, or it´s frightening like a mother-in-law. But funny either way.
Ozomatli is not just a band from California that I happen to like. It is also the prehispanic word for monkey and the name of a month in one of the indigenous calendars.
Finally, I think fiesta de las pijamas sounds a lot more fun than pajama party. I imagine pajamas come to life, some chatting in the corner, some around the keg, all eventually migrating to the kitchen, which is where most parties end up. Or pajamas having a pillow fight.
Espantasuegras are the paper noise makers you blow on New Year´s. Suegra is mother-in-law and espantar means to frighten. I´m not sure if that means the noise is supposed to frighten a mother-in-law, or it´s frightening like a mother-in-law. But funny either way.
Ozomatli is not just a band from California that I happen to like. It is also the prehispanic word for monkey and the name of a month in one of the indigenous calendars.
Finally, I think fiesta de las pijamas sounds a lot more fun than pajama party. I imagine pajamas come to life, some chatting in the corner, some around the keg, all eventually migrating to the kitchen, which is where most parties end up. Or pajamas having a pillow fight.