Monday, November 20, 2006
Mi familia Mexicana
My hostess, a retired teacher at my school, owns the house where I´m staying. Her son, and his girlfriend live there too. I´m not the only student-boarder. There´s another Ann, a teacher from San Diego, and a couple from Canada, Rachel and John. I met all of them at breakfast this a.m., so I don´t know too much more about them.
This is the same house where I stayed last spring and I love it. We´re about 7 minutes walk to the Jardin, the center of town. A heavy wooden garage-size door leads into a tiled courtyard. There are lemon trees, complete with fruit, that reach up to the second floor, where all of our rooms are. Geraniums in blue pots hang from the iron work around the porch and patio outside our bedroom doors. The third floor has a living room with a TV where we students can hang out in the evenings. That room opens onto a rooftop garden with a fireplace and a fabulous view of the city.
We eat on the ground floor in a room that looks out on the courtyard. (on the ground floor there´s also a formal dining room, a kitchen and a living room, with a christmas tree that must be about 10 feet tall.)
This morning we had juevos rancheros for breakfast, with homemade ranchero sauce - spicy! In Spanish, the word for spicy is picante, not caliente. It comes from the word picar, which means something like to stab. In bullfighting there are - and i´m gonna spell this wrong - picadoros who stab at the bull. So really, it´s a more descriptive word - imagine the food making tiny stabs on your tongue.
This is the same house where I stayed last spring and I love it. We´re about 7 minutes walk to the Jardin, the center of town. A heavy wooden garage-size door leads into a tiled courtyard. There are lemon trees, complete with fruit, that reach up to the second floor, where all of our rooms are. Geraniums in blue pots hang from the iron work around the porch and patio outside our bedroom doors. The third floor has a living room with a TV where we students can hang out in the evenings. That room opens onto a rooftop garden with a fireplace and a fabulous view of the city.
We eat on the ground floor in a room that looks out on the courtyard. (on the ground floor there´s also a formal dining room, a kitchen and a living room, with a christmas tree that must be about 10 feet tall.)
This morning we had juevos rancheros for breakfast, with homemade ranchero sauce - spicy! In Spanish, the word for spicy is picante, not caliente. It comes from the word picar, which means something like to stab. In bullfighting there are - and i´m gonna spell this wrong - picadoros who stab at the bull. So really, it´s a more descriptive word - imagine the food making tiny stabs on your tongue.